Lima’s creamy Aji de Gallina with a potato cake au gratin
For the Aji de Gallina
- - ½ breast chicken (boiled and shredded in large pieces)
- - ½ chopped white onion
- - 4 tbsp. Fresh yellow Peruvian chili puree
- - 6 slices white bread
- - 1 cup of chicken broth
- - ¾ cup milk
- - Vegetable oil
- Salt and ground pepper
- - Black olive mayonnaise
- - Spanish black olives
- - Pecans
- - Parmesan cheese
- - Quail hardboiled eggs
- - Green sprouts
For the potato grated cake
- - 1 large white potato
- - 150 ml. Milk cream
- - ½ tsp. Anise beans
- - Fresh thyme
- - 3 slices of mozzarella cheese
- - Salt and ground pepper
Aji de Gallina
- - Place the chicken in a casserole with salt, celery stalk and a coarsely chopped carrot. Cover with water. Bring to boil and cook until tender. Remove the chicken and shred in large pieces. Save 1 cup of the broth approx.
- - Shred the bread and soaked with the broth and milk.
- - Yellow Peruvian hot pepper cream: blanch the yellow hot pepper, remove the skin, blend with some oil and salt until you get a soft cream puree.
- - In a separate pan saute the onions in vegetable oil, when its well done add the yellow chili puree. Cooked for 5 min. more until light golden, finally add the soaked bread. Cooked for seconds in a low heat.
- - Blend the mixture until you get a cream, if needed add more milk or broth.
- - Return mixture to the pan, seasoned and add the chicken. Rectify flavours.
- - Prepare an infusion with the cream, anise, salt, grounded pepper and a thyme branch, over medium heat. Reduce a bit, cool and strain.
- - Boil the potato and cut into thin slices.
- - Mix the potatoes with the cream infusion, then place the potato in a baking dish and between layers of potatoes, put the mozzarella slices.
- - Bake in a preheated oven, until cheese melts.
Place the grated potato cake in the center of a serving dish. Put on top the Aji de Gallina mixture and garnish with the olives, parmesan cheese, hardboiled eggs, grounded pecans and the green sprouts.